Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ghost Animals


 I was driving down the road one day and saw what I first thought was a pigeon - not an unusual site amongst the barns of Wisconsin. However it just wasn't the right size or shape.

I turned the car back and went to check it out. Here was an all white pheasant in the middle of this flock of "normal" ones. As you can see by the picture (yes - I just happened to have my camera with me!!) He stands out like a sore thumb when compared to the camouflage of his flock mates.

A few months later I was visiting my son and family, and this white squirrel was in their backyard. he has a bit of a brown spot on his ear, so I do not think he was an albino - just white coloring. he was absolutely beautiful. But, living where I see hawks out cruising for food every day, I couldn't help but think what an easy target he would be.

I have never seen the pheasant again, and the kids said the squirrel has never returned to their yard. I hope they are okay, but nature is not kind to those who don't have the defenses evolution has given them, so I doubt it. But it was a thrill to see them both.

I have made an Etsy treasury showcasing some other beautiful white animals...here are four of them. To see all sixteen of the items I found click here.
These items can be found at these shops:   Carpiss   Gypsyharte   Flowerandpearlstudio   Aleksander

2 comments:

Blythe Hopes Vintage said...

Husband saw a white squirrel too!!!!

He didn't have the camera and nobody believed him - now we have support lol

jill said...

Glad to help!!