Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

To wool or not to wool, that is the question.


I have had a few customers ask me if there is wool in my jill2day reconstructed sweaters. While a few of them are all wool, I have usually made sure that there is at least some wool in all my scarves and sweaters. I assumed that that would be better for the quality, the warmth, and that it would be the preference of most.

Well, it seems that many of you are 1) allergic to wool, 2) too warm to wear wool, 3) are ardent vegans and don't want any animal products, or 4) just don't like wool.  I am happy to hear this! It is far easier to find other fibers and the range of colors is usually greater in cottons and man made fibers.

It is hard to assure you, my customers, of what exactly the content of every fabric is. Because I use recycled garments and sometimes the tags are removed or unreadable. I keep all the scraps, and it may be months between using the first and the final pieces of a garment. But, that is why I wash and dry all of my garments after completeing them and before selling them. This assures me that WHATEVER the fabric content it will make it through the 'gentle' cycle in both the washer and dryer.


While I will continue to use wool - exclusively in some designs, and in combo in other designs - I will also try to make sure I am also offering items that have little or no wool in them and make that known when I post the items. Of course you can always contact me regarding a specific item.  I will be posting three scarves in the next couple of days (CELERY, BRAZIL, and GLACIER) none of which contain any wool. Watch for them if that is your preference!

No comments: